WEBSITE: WWW.NATALIEANNPHOTOGRAPHY.COM.AU CONNECT: FACEBOOK CONTACT: INFO@NATALIEANNPHOTOGRAPHY.COM.AU

June 7, 2012

Couples Photography


Posing couples; two people to direct, two people to make comfortable and two people's expressions to work on. You get my point, but also two people to have fun with, laugh with and create amazing interactions to capture.

For clients, I hope this blog post gives you an idea of what to expect, especially for the guys, they always seem to be more nervous than their partner, and for the photographers, perhaps some tips.

First of all is outfits. I always discuss this with my clients before their shoot. I want them to look semi-formal, jeans are fine (just make sure it's dressed with a nice top or shirt), no matching outfits please! However in saying that I do like similar colour tones. Next is hair and make-up. I always encourage my clients to have hair and make-up professionally done. I will sometimes add some powder foundation to a guy to avoid shine on the skin and also lip balm, I don't like to touch up dry lips in post work.

Following on, is where to shoot. I have found that most couples are more comfortable in a location environment, rather than the studio. Perhaps it is the confined area and and all the equipment and light pointing in their direction.

Before a shoot, I already have in mind about 4 areas of the chosen location to photograph them in. You don't always need a completely different scene, you can change it up by the poses, depth of field, lighting, expression and interactions.

This shoot was done in a small garden. I used my 50mm lense and occasionally my reflector.

At first clients are a little nervous, so I ease them into it with some simple poses and nice smiles.

Next, to get them to relax further, I ask them to be silly and rough each other up a little. It helps release some of the nervous energy and they can have a giggle. This always creates a nice little series.

To change it up, we move to the floor. I am constantly talking to them and telling them where to look. ie. "Brooke look to me, Chris look towards that direction, now look at each other"


By now they have really relaxed, so I can start asking them to portray a little more emotion and romance into it. Think what an editorial magazine would do with models and use those shots and adapt it with your clients. Ask them to act and feel like a model, they will bring their own special something and personality to it. They get nervous to act like models at first, but once they get into it you can really get some great looks from them. I will also act it out myself to show them what I mean. When they see you do it. They don't feel so silly to do it themselves.



While all the posing and directing is going on, I am also constantly looking for pretty light, changing my depth of field, and shooting angles to create different looks and backgrounds. The end result is beautifully styled photographs for my client. I hope this provides some little tips and helps my clients to know what to expect on their shoot :)