WEBSITE: WWW.NATALIEANNPHOTOGRAPHY.COM.AU CONNECT: FACEBOOK CONTACT: INFO@NATALIEANNPHOTOGRAPHY.COM.AU

May 16, 2012

A Make-up Artists Top Tips

Bringing in a professional hair & make-up artist for all the shoots I do has proven to be a fantastic success. Daniella is one of the best hair & make-up artists I have ever worked with. Not only is she so talented in her profession but she is an asset to my business. She brings out the best in people, in both their personalities and their looks. It's amazing the transformation my clients go through and how their confidence increases dramatically once they've had their hair and make-up done.

She listens to what my clients want, and gives them sound advice as to what will work best for them. My clients usually come in  a little nervous for their shoot and I find that having that quiet time with Daniella allows them to relax and express some of their nerves and excitement before the shoot.

So below Daniella has answered some of mine and the most commonly asked questions clients ask her.



Why did you become a makeup artist?
It's something that I'm passionate about, I love the concept of transformation, and to awaken and
bring out the beauty of an individual. I also love the fact that makeup is so diverse; as there as so many different avenues makeup takes me, being glamour, bridal, fashion, commercial and so much more.

What is your most favourite thing about your job?
I love that I love my job!!..Simple as that really. As the saying goes "when you do what you love, you never work a day in your life" I stand by this quote.

Course/Certificate/Study?
I studied at Perth College of Beauty, and furthered my qualification as a  MAC makeup artist. I have now been freelancing for 5 years and still believe that a great artist is someone who is up to date with evolving and current trends. For this reason I'm always taking on board what the client wants, and ultimately needs.  

What makes you a professional?
Personally for me, it comes from my knowledge of experience, and my value of service to every individual. Each and everyone of us are so unique and I want to ensure that I tap into each individuals unique beauty and bring that to life. I also  believe reputation is paramount, and that comes from being a creative, approachable makeup artist with an eye for attention to detail.

What are your favourite tools in your kit?
Every tool has a purpose and is a must have in my kit. However if I had to narrow it down to my ultimate favourite tools it would have to be my 1).Mascara fan brush. This brush is fabulous as it allows mascara to be applied to the very base of the lash. 
2). My Japonesque eye lash curler; I assure it's not like any other as it is manufactured in Japan and designed to not be detrimental to the lashes, and curls like a dream.
3). My Jackson's spatula, great for scraping gel liner, stick foundation and anything else!

You favourite Makeup?
I tend to go threw phases and it depends what is current. However my essential products which I can't go without are:
1). Mac/Motives eye base/paint, truly everyone needs this product. It stops your eyeshadow from shifting into the folds of the eye and stops the natural oils from seeping threw the skin to ensure your eye makeup is untouched and flawless!
2). Mac gel liners come in a number of beautiful shades, apply with a brush and create a line of what your heart desires.
3). Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector,  mix in with foundation or use over the top, great for under brow bone, and lips. I love this product blotted over the check bone giving a glow and a slight dewiness; perfecting a matte finishing makeup!

Top 3 Tips!!!
1).Please look after your skin...When your skin glows your makeup does as well. Be sure to cleanse day and night, exfoliate 2x a week and hydrate hydrate hydrate..I honestly can't emphasise this enough; day time ensure you wear a SPF and don't forget the EYE CREAM. Depending on your skin type you will need to use a specific product which is designed for your skin type. I would recommend to speak to your Beauty therapist, Deramal Therapist, or Dermatologist. Our skin on our face is always exposed to damaging environmental factors and therefore is gluten for punishment so please start feeding it a little more TLC.
2). Ensure you have a rested night sleep, and have a good breakfast before you come along to the shoot. You want your energy level sustained, and to also enjoy yourself over the shoot process. 
3). Fake it until you make it! We want you to be yourself however I recommend you bring a little confidence to the shoot (or at least pretend to) this sounds a little cheesy however its so very true. You will be pleasantly surprised how amazing you look in the final pics. 

Daniella's work can be viewed thoughout my face book with before and afters and also at her website: