WEBSITE: WWW.NATALIEANNPHOTOGRAPHY.COM.AU CONNECT: FACEBOOK CONTACT: INFO@NATALIEANNPHOTOGRAPHY.COM.AU

October 13, 2012

Preparing for the unexpected in shoots




A client contacted me for a great idea with a photo shoot. This group were going to their uni ball and thought it would be fun to get pre-photos done since they will all ready be dressed up.

I was to have an hour to photograph them before their limo picked them up. Packing the car I had the usual kit, lenses, flash, spare camera, extra batteries charged, reflector, extra cards etc. but I also had  my Elinchrom Quad Ranger lighting. Even if I never think I'm not going to use them I always take them, and this is why...

I got to the location early to scout the spots I was going to photograph them and then also test the lighting and set up. It was so beautiful, perfect shooting conditions. However, my poor clients hit some terrible traffic conditions, and within the extra half hour it took for them to arrive the lighting changed dramatically, the sun was setting behind the trees and heavy clouds came overhead.

Test shots of my fiance who was assisting:


With the late start and the afternoon light gone I had to think quickly and a change my tactics. In these situations I'm glad I spent the extra $$$ for portable lighting and my lenses, where I am able to open the aperture up wide and let in as much light as possible. So it was out with the Elinchrom lights, and a change of position.


I still wanted it to look as 'naturally' lit as possible, so when shooting the group shots, I used the lights in conjunction with a slower shutter speed, bumped up the ISO and asked my clients to be very still. The only down fall was in these conditions... I wasn't able to get the relaxed candid images I wanted to be able to provide for them.



The individual portraits were fine as I was able to shoot at 2.8f.






The other thing that saved me was that I was prepared with how I was going to pose and photograph them. I already had the process in my head. So from originally having 1 hour to shoot the individuals, couple shots and group shots, I now only had 30min before they had to leave.





Professionalsim and experience always pays off. I still had a good time photographing them because I was organized and had a backup plan and my clients have great photos to remember the night!! :)